Argonne National Laboratory Human Resources Manager in Lemont, Illinois
Human Resources Manager
Requisition Number: 405250 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Human Resources Division: HRS-Human Resource Services
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PAL2 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Argonne National Laboratory is a Department of Energy national laboratory performing world-class research aimed at solving the nation's energy, environmental and security challenges. Located 25 miles southwest of Chicago on a beautiful 1500-acre campus, Argonne has been managed since its founding by The University of Chicago (UChicago), one of the world’s preeminent research universities. Argonne’s workforce of over 3200 includes over 1500 scientists and engineers. The Laboratory operates five world-renowned scientific user facilities, which together support nearly 8,000 researchers annually.
The Human Resources Manager (Business Partner) will oversee HR programs and activities and provide a range of HR support for one of Argonne’s major scientific Directorates, Energy and Global Security (EGS). You will be a strategic partner and liaison with organizational leaders to deliver fit for purpose practices and focused HR solutions in partnership with HR Centers of Expertise (COEs/functions) in Human Resource Services (HRS) as well as other organizations in the lab. You will participate in and at times lead the development of strategies to find, develop, and recognize exceptional talent and great leaders. You will provide consultation, facilitation, leadership and execution in areas such as strategic staffing/workforce planning, succession planning and other talent activities, diversity and inclusion, culture stewardship, change management, organization development, performance management, compensation and employee relations. You will have 3 direct reports who are HR Specialists / HR Reps within the EGS Directorate. This position reports to the Senior Manager of Talent Management Strategy and Solutions in the HRS Directorate.
- Ability to “see the big picture’ and identify, articulate, influence and execute upon strategic approaches in line with scientific/business needs.
- Interpersonal, negotiation and customer skills with an ability to establish rapport with others.
- Ability to collaborate with lab leaders, HR function team members, and employees to drive change effectively.
- Extensive Talent Management experience including workforce planning, talent reviews, succession planning, high potential identification, employee & leadership development, and diversity & inclusion.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to details; highly responsive.
- Broad HR knowledge and experience in a variety of HR disciplines, including but not limited to especially employee relations, performance management, talent acquisition, and compensation.
- Ability to execute and/or direct and oversee the tactical HR needs and activities.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential issues with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to lead and mentor less senior HR generalists and support staff in a team environment to achieve common goals.
- Experience in a scientific, R&D and/or academic environment preferred.
- B.A. / B.S. or equivalent and 15+ years of HR (combination of multiple functions, generalist and/or business partner) experience required.
- MS in Human Resources, MBA or related advanced degree preferred.
SPHR/PHR certification desirable.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.